Allapattah Community Fellows Program
Do you want to make a difference in your neighborhood? The Allapattah Collaborative CDC is launching the third cohort of its Community Fellows Program, which mentors young members of the Allapattah community between 17 and 25 years old. The 12-week in-person program is a paid fellowship and takes participants through a skill and knowledge-based curriculum that fosters independent engagement and advocacy for the neighborhood and its members. Allapattah Collaborative staff and guest speakers will guide the Fellows through all the sessions. In addition, fellows will also be mentored throughout the 12-week program and beyond. As a result, the Fellows will come away from the program prepared to be Allapattah’s newest allies.
· Allapattah 101- Fellows will deep dive into Allapattah's history, learn how this unique Miami neighborhood came to be and how it’s changed over the years.
· Civics and You- Sessions will demystify the County and the City of Miami's governmental process, including attending a commission meeting and following an agenda item from first reading to final approval.
· Social Media Highs & Lows- Fellows will learn how Social Media can impact communities and social justice movements, as well as how it can define how they’re seen
· Community Engagement- Fellows will learn how to engage with the community and how best to use modern and traditional advocacy tools to help Allapattah.
· Impact Issues- Through the program, the fellows will explore many of the issues impacting the neighborhood now, including affordable housing, economic development, mobility, as well as future concerns like climate change.
· Community Activation Project- The Fellows will close out the program with a Community Activation Project geared to impact the Allapattah neighborhood at large positively. The Collaborative will provide PPE to the Fellows so they can interact safely with the community.
What impact can they have?
The Allapattah Collaborative CDC launched its inaugural Community Fellows Program cohort on April 26, 2021.
The four students who were selected to participate in the program’s first class were Jose Arriaza, Jayla Cannon, Elianer Navarro Perez, and Fernando Saldago. All four are Allapattah residents and graduating seniors (Class of 2021) from Miami Jackson Senior High.
The Allapattah Community Fellows Program's inaugural cohort’s project was #SaveTheAllapattahLibrary. From left to right: Fernando Saldago, Jayla Cannon, Jose Arriaza, and Elianer Navarro Perez. Ely Delcorto/ Allapattah CDC
Cohort 2 of The Allapattah Community Fellows kicked off on Sept. 27, 2021, and wrapped up on Dec. 16, 2021. The five students who were selected to participate in the program’s second class were Geymi Alonzo, Chelsea Hercules, Natalie Santana, Kristal Reyes, and Carlos Valdez. The group included students from Miami Jackson Senior High and Miami Dade College.
Cohort 2 chose #SaverTogether/ #JuntosYSeguros Allapattah as their Community Activation project. The event and social media campaign was geared at helping bridge the disconnect between residents of the neighborhood and law enforcement. Ely Delcorto/ Allapattah CDC
Cohort 3 launched on April 11, 2022, and the fellows completed their journey on June 30, 2022. The five students who were selected to participate in the program’s second class were Andrea Diaz, Sheylen Hercules, Yocasta Hidalgo, Karla Perez-Miranda, and Jonathan Quintanilla. The group included students from Miami Jackson Senior High School students and Miami Senior High School.
Cohort 3’s Community Activation project #FabuloAllapattah was geared toward ending littering and illegal dumping in the community. The success of the June 25, 2022 event resulted in the #FabulosoAllapattah project receiving support to continue through the end of 2022. The Allapattah Collaborative CDC
Are you ready to make a difference?
To qualify for the program, Fellows' candidates must be:
17 to 25 years old
Bilingual (English/ Spanish)
Comfortable doing outreach in the community and attending in-person sessions (in a socially distant and safe manner)
Have a working phone number and a smartphone
Proof of vaccination or negative covid test to attend in-person sessions at CIC Miami
The deadline to apply is Sept. 12, 2022, at 6 PM.
Or scan the QR Code: